Saturday, June 29, 2013

Driving, for the First Time!

I finally got my learner's permit this week!

NOW I CAN DRIVE! ...with my parents.

But still, the point is I can get in front of the steering wheel and drive.

I only drove for about 15 minutes my first but I think that's all I could take. It's easy to drive a SAFE go-kart but it's not easy driving a DANGEROUS car that can kill people. My mom and I just worked a lot with braking, gas, and turning... It's pretty easy but it takes me awhile to get used to being on the left side of the front seat. (All those drivers out there can probably understand all this... Including Cpt. Busy Seagull.)

I was pretty nervous and still have trouble turning. I was also scared to see upcoming cars and kids on the street as well.

It was only 15 minutes but I felt that was plenty for the first try. I still have much to learn... But that's okay. I have a whole year until I'm 16.

Hopefully I can learn the basics of driving without crashing or failing.
❤ The Not so Fast and the Furious, Petpet

3 comments:

  1. That's so cool! I still have a few years ahead of me. Don't worry, I'm sure you won't crash or fail ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Fist bump* Congrads PP welcome to the world of driving :D
    I got my permit too recently, for me I had to do a crazy amount of waiting to get mine (like 2 hours). By the time they finally called me up I was about to literally Rage quit (so glad i didn't though xD). Goodluck on the road Buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations PP! That's great that you're getting started on learning how to drive and I'm sure you'll do well. I know exactly what you mean about the feeling. The first day out, my sister and I (we got our permits at the same time) just got familiarized with the car, but I was almost glad we didn't drive that first day. Just the idea of a car moving with me being the only thing controlling it was kinda scary! Once I did start driving though, I got used to the movement pretty quickly, but I was also driving a standard with a stick-shift and clutch and I was in an empty parking lot, so the car never got up a lot of speed. Every time I progressed to faster speeds (and a higher gear) I was a bit nervous, but then again I also had to think about clutching, shifting, and trying not to stall...not a lot of fun when one lives among rolling hills! Practice does make perfect though, and I'm much more comfortable with driving, though I always try to be as alert as possible because anything can happen.

    For all you drivers and prospective drivers out there...please, drive safely. Don't give in to road rage, keep a good, safe following distance from the cars in front of you, and leave your departure point early so that you are not rushed. I am no longer driving the standard we started out on because someone with a short following distance and who was not paying attention rear-ended my Dad as he was coming home from work one day. (Everyone involved was okay...but not the vehicles.) Now I'm stuck driving an automatic (yeah, believe it or not, I finally got used to the clutch and came to like being able to select the gears myself). The same thing happened recently to our other vehicle. Two good vehicles totaled because someone else wasn't paying attention. It didn't take a lot of damage either, as they were old vehicles that insurance wouldn't pay to get fixed. So, do the right thing and follow the rules. Remember, driving is a privilege, not a right.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say about the post? Comment and let me know! We always love to hear some feedback!

Singing Hatsune Miku